Symbol of an ancestral wine tradition dating back to the Gallo-Roman era and having its apogee towards the end of the eighteenth century, the vineyard of Paris was born in 1933 thanks to the extraordinary project of a few men of good will, involved in local associations for the safeguard of urban land and supported by the Municipality.
The vineyard, known as Clos Montmartre, is located on the slope of Montmartre in the 18th arrondissement of Paris. Owned by the city of Paris, the management of the vineyard is entrusted to the Comité des Fêtes et d’Actions Sociales de Montmartre – Paris 18ième.
Founded in the twelfth century and managed by the inhabitants of the area, it brings together different denominations of wine, “Le Clos Berthaud”, “La Goutte d’Or” or “Il Piccolo”. At the beginning the wine production of the Clos Montmartre was reserved for local consumption, but now the vineyard has 1,800 plants, with 30 different types of vines.
Every year in October “La Fête des Vendanges” is organized to celebrate the annual harvest. The wine produced is then put up for auction, and the proceeds go to the social works of the Montmartre Association.